Monday, September 24, 2012

Dragoncon - Monday and the Trip Home

Photobucket (Photograph © Berry Crowe)
This post will be significantly shorter than the previous days at Con as Monday is usually known as 'Packing Day'. Almost everyone scuttles about packing and checking out of their hotels. But there were some of us that didn't leave til Tuesday. Besides, there were still things going on throughout the hotels, including the last minute rush of the exhibit halls before they closed at 5pm.

While I could have opted for normal wear, I decided to still stay in costume. I wasn't sure if anyone else would be, but I went for it anyway as I wanted to honour my friend that had bought my Selina Kyle hat. So I slinked into my little black dress and donned my hat to greet the new day. Unfortunately due to it being so last minute, there was no chance to switch out the black ribbon for the proper white & black ribbon from the film. There were definitely a ton of inaccuracies in my costume (in fact, nothing was really accurate. It was pretty much a from-my-closet costume). But it pleasantly surprised me that it didn't matter one bit. People recognized what I was wearing all the same. It surprised me even more as I was not wearing the catsuit (which is infinitely more recognisable) or standing next to Bane/Batman. There's something to be said for doing real-world costumes from recent movies/TV shows. The costumes are still fresh in people's minds.

Photobucket (Photograph © Berry Crowe)

I spent the first few hours playing phone tag with friends trying to see people before they left. I ended up getting pinned in one part of the Marriott for about 40 straight minutes of people taking my picture (I even had a few people "squee!" at me. That was new). It made me incredibly grateful that I had the foresight to pack a pair of black flats in my purse. I finally met up with Bryan (King Ik) who was in civvies for the rest of the day and we went to the dealer room to meet up with Lindsay Archer (http://www.lindsayarcher.com/), who in turn graciously introduced me to her mentor, renowned fantasy illustrator Larry Elmore (http://larryelmore.com/). They very kindly talked to me about various art topics, the state of the business, where to get started in illustration (as I only have experience in production/commercial art), and Larry most graciously offered to exchange one of his painting classes for my modeling skills. While his studio is a bit far from me, it's an extremely tempting offer.

Afterwards, Lindsay and I returned to the big dealer room, where she introduced me to a couple more of her artist friends (whose names, I loathe to say, have escaped me). I'll look for them at Dragoncon next year, especially as one of those artists has some truly beautiful fantasy paintings. Since it was nearing mid-afternoon and there was only 2 hours left before the exhibits closed, I decided to go shopping (seemed appropriate in my Catwoman costume. Other attendees seemed to think so to as I've seen a couple photos of me on Flickr tagged "Catwoman goes shopping" or "Selina Kyle does some last-minute shopping. Make sure your valuables aren't missing!" I darted in and out of every single booth between all three dealer rooms with my list-o-stuff to buy (and yes, I did wait to shop til the last minute on purpose! Usually vendors will give deals on the last day to try to get rid of stock. Alas, nothing I got had such a sale on it). I thought it might be fun to get a Loki figurine to commemorate the epic happenings of Sunday, but alas I didn't find anything with Loki even on it, much less a figurine. I'm guessing if there were any, they sold out quick. I also looked for a Doctor Who pocketwatch (The Master's from the 10th Doctor's series), but the few that were left were still more expensive than the one on thinkgeek.com. I'll just have to save up for the metal one on there someday. But not to despair, I did find a couple things on my list that I had been wanting for a while, including something I didn't think I'd actually be able to ever find. The former was a Jayne "Blue Sun" shirt from the Firefly series (which I'm going to turn into a tank top. Alas, there's an odd thing about most vendors not making geek shirts in womens' sizes (and forget a size as tiny as me!). So I had to buy a mens small). The latter was a Jayne hat. But not just any Jayne hat. A fluffy comfortable Jayne hat! As much as my perfectionist brain wants screen accuracy, I just can't comply when it comes to hats. If it's not comfortable, I won't wear it. I've tried on many an accurate Jayne hat and the wool proved to be too itchy for my sensitive skin to tolerate. But when walking around the dealer hall, my eyes fell upon a rather plush looking Jayne hat. To my pleasant surprise, it was very comfortable and to my further glee was only $25!

Photobucket (Photograph © Christina Wert - Facebook)
On my way out, I finally got to meet Abby Dark-Star and Keith "Zen" Carter of theRPF.com. We had been playing tag all weekend. It was lovely to meet them in person, especially Abby as we had been corresponding via email before Dragoncon on our plans to take over the world, as you do. Within a few minutes of that meeting, my geek group of friends from Nashville happened to conglomerate around us (and some knew Abby and Keith). Along with fond hellos and silly antidotes, we got into an interesting discussion about the different types of people costumes. A crew had been around earlier taking pictures/video of people in their costumes, then asking what they did in real life. There's the view out there that costumers at convention are just losers with little social skills and no real adult jobs. Just in our group alone that was standing around talking we had a CEO, a doctor, lawyer, nanny, music teacher, production artist, internet technician, etc. We all acknowledged that this is our hobby. This is what we do to make our work life bearable (as work stress can sometimes become overwhelming).

Tuesday I spent the day with my friend Philip doing laundry and repacking to head home. After a tasty take-out dinner from Cafe Intermezzo (my new favourite restaurant in Atlanta), I boarded the Megabus for home. Although I was fully expecting to be seated next to a stranger the entire way home, Dragoncon has a funny way of making quick friends out of strangers. I'll confess I profiled a girl midway through the bus, "Hm...she looks like a geek. I wonder if she just came from Dragoncon. Oh look, an empty seat!" Unbeknownst to me, she was profiling me too. Of course, I was kinda easy to spot as a Dragoncon geek from my floppy Jayne hat and goofy grin from a wild weekend. I plopped next down to her and the small chat quickly escalated into passioned geek talk, religious discussions, and us peering over the chair to watch Star Trek on a man's iPod in the seat in front of us. Well, that and dodging flying Jolly Rangers being thrown at us from a friendly Australian in the seat next to us. As the bus drove wore on, we conversed with our entire row which consisted of seeing which accents came out of us when really tired, me translating things to the other girls from the Australian (as I used to live in New Zealand) and attempting to catch a few winks when all the lights went out on the bus. The bus arrived back in Nashville at about 11:30 where a grinning daddy was very happy to pick me up.

I simply cannot WAIT to go back to Dragoncon next year!

4 comments:

  1. Great post !

    Love your style and see you as such as good inspiration :) !

    I'm an instant follower of you now :)

    Please feel free to check out my blog if you have the time

    Love,

    Janice
    the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first image just says 'stylised' magazine cover' don't you think?
    It must be hard leaving Dragoncon after so much costumed, in-role enjoyment and mutual appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I saw you when you were shopping at Dragon Con and complimented you on your hat! I loved your costume. Your dress and hat were very good and captured the spirit and style of Selena Kyle's escape outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Janice! :)

    Rosalind - In true Selina Kyle, fashion indeed! Aye, it has been quite hard to deal with the post-convention duldrums.

    Heike - Ah yes, I do remember you. Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate them greatly. :)

    ReplyDelete